£35k - 36k per year
15 days ago
IMAC Data Centre Engineer
Salary – 35/36K
Location – Hayes
The Data Centre IMAC Engineer will work as part of a team within the Data Centre Operations division to deliver support activities and input to project related tasks within the Data Centre and ensure that all work carried out complies with agreed standards. This role requires the sucessful candidate to work a 24/7 shift rota, the typical pattern is 4 off and 4 on rotating between days and nights.
The DC IMAC Engineer will provide an operational interface to physical security teams assisting in the proactive management of the site’s security. Providing an interface to the customer, advising them of any operational issues with the infrastructure and acting as a point of contact to address the customer requirements including being first line of support for incident and recovery duties, contribution to BAU and project activity to rack, install and decommission devices.
• Structured cabling installation, fault finding and testing with fluke test equipment.
• Hardware Installs, Moves & Changes, and Decommissions: working in conjunction with the central service desk, the engineer(s) will deploy, change, and decommission client hardware (server / network etc.) assets in line with defined policies and procedures. This includes configuration, testing and preparing / confirming operational readiness for installs and changes as well as maintaining system documentation and relative ITSM system records for all activities.
• IT Logistics & Media Handling: The Data Centre Operations team have responsibility for the management and execution of shipping and receiving of hardware and data assets maintaining storage and staging locations, inspecting, and tagging devices and managing the respective systems relating to any movement or change in status. The engineers / team will also document the storage of any locally defined store locations identifying new vs recycled equipment stores. The engineers are responsible for media / tape handling and data wiping processes in line with the client’s defined processes.
• Data Centre Audits: The Data Centre Operations engineers are responsible for the undertaking of data quality and accuracy audits. Checking physical assets against core information systems and recording any found discrepancies. The team also undertake periodic audits of hardware devices as part of preventative maintenance program to identify faults or issues in the DC space.
• Visitor Escorting: The engineers are required to support our client in escorting any visitors requiring access to the secure Data Centre spaces ensuring the requisite conditions for access are met and follow Data Centre processes and procedures.
• General DC Operations and Support: As well as the above core activities, the DC engineer team will provide support for a wide range of Data Centre activities to drive forward client and internal business deliverables.
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE & TRAINING
• Experience working in banking IT environment.
• Experience in a Data Centre Moves Adds and Changes environment (IT Hardware deployment).
• Experience in structured cabling installation, fault finding and testing with fluke test equipment.
• Thorough knowledge of structured cabling standards and cable types (FTP,UTP & Optical Fibre)
• Understanding of criticality of support in a financial sector
• An ability to assimilate technical details required for project delivery in a short time frame and in pressurised environment
• Excellent MS Office Suite experience (Outlook, Excel, Word etc)
• Self-starter, organized, detailed-oriented and ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
• Prioritization skills and multitasking ability.
• Extensive knowledge of Asset Management and DCIM systems
• Extensive knowledge of ITSM Ticketing Systems
• Extensive understanding of complex change management and service delivery processes.
• Availability to work on on-call shift rota for emergency visitor escorting